Tuesday, December 24, 2013


Christmas Eve morning, early, the house asleep, with some of my family home. I awaken and listen for stirring, wanting to join whoever wakes first for a quiet breakfast while others sleep.
I get up for a walk to the bathroom and a drink of water, not turning on lights but picking up my cell phone from the kitchen counter to use it for a light. Compulsively I check my email and this is the quote for the day in my inbox:

"Lo, in the silent night
A child to God is born
And all is brought again
That ere was lost or lorn.
Could but thy soul, O man
Become a silent night!
God would be born in thee
And set all things aright."
-Unknown
Source: 15th Century verse

I take the butter out of the fridge to soften for the soon-to-be toast, and go back to bed. Thoughts become words, and I sneak my iPad under the blanket to grasp them before I forget:

Make me a silent night.
Empty of noise. Expectant.
In darkness let me be still,
with folded hands, feet resting.
Unmoving let me wait,
letting the wind blow around me,
under moon and stars, all cloudless,
a sky  for an angel's announcement.
Then let me see what comes.
Of my silence, my darkness. My trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment