Monday, February 20, 2012

Two things have struck me this morning.
The first is a phrase I came across on a philosophy/theology blog: God "reluctantly permitted". There is something to investigate in those words.

The second is a quotation from The Devil's Novice, by Ellis Peters: "...'A man does what he must do,' said Cadfael carefully, 'whether the duty he has taken on himself is to fight, or to salvage poor souls from the fighting, to kill, to die or to heal. There are many will claim to tell you what is due from you, but only one who can shear through the many, and reach the truth. And that is you, by what light falls for you to show the way.' "
It is the concept of how the light falls for us, and how differently for each of us, that I think unites us all, and should teach me compassion for all, as I never know what light, or lack of it, has fallen in someone's life.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, thought-provoking quotes, poetreehugger. I see you enjoy the Cadfael novels too. I have them all but it's some years since I read them. This prompts me to plan to reread them when we're next in France, which is where they're kept at present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Perpetua. I have finally managed to get the last book to complete my collection, mostly through used book sales, used book websites, and eBay. I am enjoying reading the series, and I'm happy to own the collection, as I do plan to reread them.

    ReplyDelete