Monday, March 22, 2010


I want to be more like Jesus
but most of the time I'm not.
If life is a web of temptations
then most of the time I'm caught.
Held by sticky strings of self love,
entangled by stubborn pride,
and I cannot escape to find freedom
as long as I keep myself tied.
I want to be more like Jesus
but that would mean letting go,
admitting my needs and addictions
I hesitate to show.
Oh, to be kinder and gentler,
more able to see others' needs.
Oh, to be able to see beyond self,
to be wise and to let love lead.
I want to be more like Jesus
and walk as He said to walk,
but find I would much rather sit here
and enjoy a comfortable talk.
But that's not the life I am called to,
or rather, it's only a part.
So, oh, to have more faith and courage,
and, oh, to have Jesus's heart.
-HJ 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment